Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Sunday, Mar 14, 2004

About Us
Contact Us
National
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment |

National Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

BJP's Bihar list likely today

By Our Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI, MARCH 13. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) hopes to conclude its seat-sharing talks for Bihar and Jharkhand and announce the first list of candidates tomorrow evening.

This was announced by the party president, Venkaiah Naidu, while presenting to newsmen two former Congressmen, Vidya Charan Shukla and Rafiq Sadiq, who joined his party today.

While Mr. Shukla has represented the Congress and the Janata Dal in Parliament, Mr. Sadiq is the son of former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister, G.M. Sadiq, and a former member of the All-India Congress Committee.

The stalemate over seat-sharing with the Janata Dal (United) in Bihar and Jharkhand was reviewed this morning at a meeting presided over by the Prime Minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, and attended by the Defence Minister, George Fernandes, the Railway Minister, Nitish Kumar and Mr. Naidu himself. Apparently, there was "considerable progress" which made Mr. Naidu confident of settling the issue by tomorrow. However, Mr. Naidu did not indicate the number of candidates to be cleared in the first list.

Mr. Naidu admitted that the prospects of an alliance with the Asom Gana Parishad were open. Some "informal" discussions had taken place.

The party's election committee would also deliberate over the names for thje Assembly elections being held simultaneously in some States including Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and Karnataka.

The BJP president sidestepped queries on whether the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh had submitted a list of names. "The RSS does not recommend candidates but some swayam sevaks could be aspirants," he said.

Dwelling on the two recent additions to the BJP fold, Mr. Naidu said that Mr. Shukla and Mr. Sadiq were responding to the "open call" to participate in the first-ever attempt by a non-Congress Government to seek a second five-year term at the Centre. Mr. Shukla and Mr. Sadiq's entry showed that even people from traditional Congress families were responding to the call, he claimed.

Mr. Shukla who was the Information and Broadcasting Minister during the Emergency, called the 19-month period a "mistake." He had met the Prime Minister earlier in the day and it was decided to go ahead with the merger of his newly-founded party with the BJP.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

National

News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | Home |

Copyright 2004, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu