Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Sunday, Feb 13, 2005

About Us
Contact Us
Andhra Pradesh
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment |

Andhra Pradesh - Hyderabad Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Permanent houses by June-end: Collector

By J.S. Ifthekhar



Slum-dwellers of Singareni Colony queue up to receive relief material on Saturday. — Photo: P.V. Sivakumar

HYDERABAD, FEB. 12. The Government is all set to take up permanent housing under the VAMBAY scheme for fire mishap victims at Singareni Colony. A three-acre site is being cleared to launch the project on Sunday.

In the first phase, 3,024 houses will be built at a cost of Rs.18 crores to accommodate 2,700 people. It is planned to build 126 blocks, comprising ground plus two floors. Each block will have 24 houses. "By June-end, all the houses will be ready," said the Hyderabad Collector, Arvind Kumar.

Enumeration over

He said enumeration of persons who had lost their huts was completed and 2,700 victims identified. Each one of them had been photographed and given a temporary ID card with a distinct number.

The second phase would be launched next week and nearly 2,000 houses would be built. "We are treating even the undamaged huts also as fully burnt," Mr. Arvind Kumar said.

The Collector, the Joint Collector, three Deputy Collectors, 16 MROs and 60 revenue officials had been camping at the colony supervising the relief operations.

"I had gone to Asmangadh to visit my relative when the fire broke out. By the time I returned my house was burnt. I was shocked to find somebody moving in my place and obtaining an ID card," said Razia Begum.

Officials, however, maintain that a detailed enumeration had been done and all victims given identity cards. A large number of outsiders had been coming to claim relief and it was not possible to entertain their requests, the Collector said.

The district administration had decided to stop providing food to the victims from Saturday night as each household had been given 10 kg of rice and a cash of Rs.2,250 besides utensils.

On Saturday, the Hyderabad MP, Asaduddin Owaisi, distributed 2,500 bedsheets and the United Economic Forum general secretary, Ghiasuddin Babukhan, gave away 3,000 kits comprising tarpaulin and blankets.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Andhra Pradesh

News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

Copyright 2005, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu