Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Monday, Apr 18, 2005

About Us
Contact Us
Karnataka
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment |

Karnataka Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Readers' mail

Moving the wheels

of bureaucracy

Sir, — Apropos the doubling of the Bangalore-Mysore rail link, the State Government says that it can bear only 50 per cent and not 60 per cent of the cost, while the Railway Ministry says that it is ready to bear only 40 per cent and not 50 per cent of the cost. If there is an intention to get the work done, let the 90 per cent of the work be completed. The decision regarding the remaining 10 per cent can be taken in the next financial year. The Government may either raise bonds, allocate funds in the subsequent budget, or convince the Railway Ministry to foot the rest. Bureaucratic red tape must not be permitted to stand in the way of the work that will benefit not only Bangalore and Mysore but also all of south Karnataka.

Maj Gen S.G. Vombatkere (Retd.),

Mysore

Maxi-cab menace

Sir, — A number of overcrowded and old maxi-cabs are plying on peripheral roads in the city, including the Outer Ring Road. The vehicles are driven at break neck speed posing a danger to other road users. Action must be taken to stop these vehicles from plying on the roads. Until this is done, fatal accidents might just become a regular feature.

S. Kuppuswamy,

Bangalore

Traffic police needed

Sir, — The idea to restrict speed within the city limits is welcome. The only question is how the traffic police can enforce such a rule. There are a few reckless drivers, who get a thrill by driving fast and weave in and out of traffic. Moreover, those who violate traffic rules and use their mobile phones while driving need to be penalised. The traffic police should be more proactive to prevent traffic violations.

D.B.N. Murthy,

Bangalore

Commemoration

Sir, — It is gratifying to note that the Bharatiya Janata Party has demanded that that Kempegowda Fort at Magadi be preserved and declared a national monument. The State has already set up Koodalasangama and Basavakalyan Development Authorities to propagate the teachings of Basaveshwara. Similarly, the State Government should also set up a Kempegowda Development Authority in memory of the founder of Bangalore.

K.T. Thimmareddy,

Bangalore

`Reduce tax on coffee'

Sir, — Many people in south India prefer coffee to tea. With the introduction of value added tax (VAT), the price of coffee has increased. While the tax on coffee is 12.5 per cent, it is only 4 per cent for tea. The elected representatives and Coffee Board should look into the matter and reduce the tax to 4 per cent.

K.V.K. Murthy,

Bangalore

Readers can also email their letters to: letters.mysore

@thehindu.co.in

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Karnataka

News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

Copyright 2005, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu