Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Thursday, May 26, 2005

About Us
Contact Us
New Delhi
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment | Obituary |

New Delhi Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

"Explosives used in blasts were smuggled''

Devesh K. Pandey

Police resort to scientific investigation

NEW DELHI: The plastic explosives used in the twin blasts that rocked two cinema halls in the Capital this past Sunday were in all probability smuggled in from outside Delhi.

According to senior police officers probing the case, plastic explosives are not available here and even terrorist outfits find it difficult to obtain them. It is learnt that such plastic explosives are primarily manufactured and supplied in the form of cakes by an Army ordnance factory at Kirkee in Pune. However, they can also be smuggled in from outside the country from places like Pakistan and Afghanistan via Punjab or Jammu and Kashmir. While the forensic report on the nature of explosives used in the blasts is still awaited, the Special Cell is trying to establish its source. The police have contacted their counterparts in Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab in this connection.

Information

In another development, the police are planning to reconstruct the scene of crime with the help of those who were present in the cinema halls when tragedy struck. After the announcement of a cash reward of Rs.1lakh for information leading to the arrest of the suspects in the case, the police on Wednesday received several calls from people claiming that they were in the cinema halls when the blasts were triggered. "We are working on the clues provided by them," said a police officer, adding that some mischievous calls were also received.

This apart, the Special Cell is also questioning the parking lot attendants at the Liberty and Satyam cinemas for possible clues. They are trying to find out whether mobile phone calls were made between the two cinema halls on that day and if they could be retrieved.

The police also plan to scan details of calls made from public booths located near the cinema halls.

Though there is no evidence so far to establish any connection between the twin blasts and the one that took place at Nandnagri in North-East Delhi on Monday morning, the police have not yet ruled out any such possibility. Stating that it was too early to comment on the identity of the group involved in the explosions, the Police Commissioner, K.K. Paul, on Wednesday said evidence were being gathered through scientific investigations.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

New Delhi

News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

Copyright 2005, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu