Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Monday, Nov 14, 2005
Google


Clasic Farm

Front Page
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Employment | Obituary |

Front Page Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Naxalites lay siege to Jehanabad, free cadre from jail

K. Balchand

Five killed; 20 Ranvir Sena men kidnapped from prison


  • Police personnel among the dead
  • Chaos on jail premises
  • Railway line blown up
  • Power, telephone lines snapped

    PATNA: Hundreds of armed Maoist naxalites struck at the Jehanabad district headquarters late on Sunday, killed five persons and freed 250 of their cadre from the prison there.

    Taking advantage of the deployment of police and Central forces away from the district for poll duty in the northern parts of Bihar, the Maoists stormed the city after 9 p.m., blasting bombs and opening fire. They focussed the attacks on the police lines, the jail and the police station. The assault on the police lines was repulsed.

    They broke into the jail and released their cadre, including area commander Ajay Kanu and Murali.

    Ajay Kanu belongs to Andhra Pradesh.

    The naxalites killed Ranvir Sena leader Bade Sharma, an inmate. They also kidnapped 20 members of the Sena from the premises and took away 16 rifles and 800 cartridges.

    Chaos in jail

    Chaos prevailed on the prison premises. Police personnel are said to be among the dead.

    The naxalites blasted bombs near the residences of the district magistrate and the superintendent of police. Some shops were damaged.

    Locals said they also blew up a railway line.

    `Nothing against people'

    While spreading out, they made it clear through loudspeakers that they had nothing against the people, that they should stay indoors and that the naxalites' fight was against the police and the administration.

    People panicked as the power and telephone lines snapped.

    Reinforcements coming

    Home Secretary H.C. Shirohi said it was one of the biggest attacks carried out by naxalites in the State. He said reinforcements were being sent in from Patna and Gaya.

    Jehanabad is 60 km away from both the towns.

    Not long ago the Maoists attacked Madhuban in East Champaran district destroying several government offices and bank premises.

    Chief Secretary G.S. Kang said the attack was on the police lines and the naxalites retreated when the police returned the fire. There had been no looting of arms.

    "Police were prepared"

    Mr. Kang said the police had information about several naxalites moving in from Jharkhand and the top brass had moved in the STF as a precautionary measure.

    He said the naxalites had not expected the police to be prepared for the attack. The extremists appeared to be regrouping after the retaliation.

    Mr. Kang said he was positive that the reinforcements would arrive safely.

    Senior district officials are supervising the operation being carried out against the militants.

    Printer friendly page  
    Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



    Front Page

    News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
    Advts:
    Classifieds | Employment | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |

  • Newyork Life Sankaranethralaya XS Real


    News Update


    The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
    Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

    Copyright 2005, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu