Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Tuesday, Jan 09, 2007
ePaper
Google



Karnataka

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Karnataka - Udupi Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Demolition work for widening Udupi-Manipal Road begins

Staff Correspondent

District administration to meet landowners today to clear doubts


  • Landowners given seven days' time to demolish their buildings
  • Rs. 14 crore compensation package for land acquisition



    MAKING A POINT: MLA Raghupati Bhat (right) talking to Deputy Commissioner V. Ponnuraj (left) on the demolition issue at Kaslank in Udupi on Monday.

    Udupi: Demolition work for widening the Adiudupi-Kalsank stretch of the Udupi-Manipal Road began here on Monday.

    Briefing presspersons after inspecting the demolition works, K. Raghupati Bhat, MLA, said that those who have agreed to voluntarily give up their land were being given a special award of Rs. one lakh a cent of land, while those who have delayed the surrender of land would get a general award of Rs. 55,000 a cent.

    Since some people who had not given their consent earlier have now retracted and were claiming that they were misguided, their case would be considered judiciously, he said.

    Mr. Bhat said that in Shivally area 32 parties had given their consent, while 12 persons had approached the court.

    Now, these 12 persons were ready to retract, he said. In the Moodanidambur area, of the 100 survey numbers, 65 parties had given their consent, while 35 had approached the court.

    The district administration was ready to discuss about those who had not applied for compensation, Mr. Bhat added. A meeting for this purpose had been called at the Deputy Commissioner's Office on Tuesday at 3 p.m. Those having queries could attend the meeting and get their doubts cleared, he said.

    The parties who had given their consent have been given seven days' time to demolish their buildings. If they fail to comply, the authorities would begin the demolition work, Mr. Bhat said.

    Compensation

    Deputy Commissioner V. Ponnuraj said that the total compensation package was of Rs. 14 crore. Immediate payment would be made to those with clear titles and no legal problems. If there were problems, the money would be deposited in the court, he said.

    Printer friendly page  
    Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



    Karnataka

    News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
    Advts:
    Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |



  • News Update


    The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
    Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Home |

    Copyright 2007, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu