Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007
ePaper
Google


Citi Bank

Andhra Pradesh
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |


ICICI Bank

Andhra Pradesh Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Farmer dies due to poisonous vapour inhalation

S. Harpal Singh

‘Prolonged exposure to pesticides can cause serious illnesses’


Farmers don’t cover their nose and mouth while spraying pesticide

Teams mandated at mandal and village levels to create awareness




DANGEROUS Act: A farmer spraying pesticide without any precaution to prevent inhalation of poisonous vapour.

ADILABAD: Farmer Y. Madhusudan Reddy of Boath died on September 3, his death being the first this season that is ascribed to inhalation of poisonous vapour during a session of spraying of pesticide in his agriculture field. The fact that the death has come at the Bt cotton boom time has surprised agriculture experts including officials and necessitated some action on this front.

“Reduced use of pesticide sprays due to Bt cotton cultivation had almost put an end to the factor of accidental inhalation of poisonous vapour.

However, in the wake of this incident, we will undertake awareness drives at local levels,” said Joint Director of Agriculture C. Sayanna, when he learnt about the death.

No precaution

Many farmers indulge in spraying insecticides in the field without taking even basic precautions like covering their nose and mouth with a scarf and avoiding spraying against the wind.

Any prolonged exposure under such conditions can result in serious illnesses and in worse conditions, death.

Though there are no recorded deaths attributed to poison inhalation, there are numerous incidents when farmers were treated for critical conditions that developed after they returned from spraying their fields.

“Before the arrival of Bt cotton, we used to get many complaints about poisoning due to inhalation of pesticide vapours. We have mandated our teams at mandal and village levels to cause awareness among farmers about wearing proper protection like that scarf and gloves in their hands.

You see, if a person handles even a beedi without properly sanitising his hands after a spray session is liable to develop acute poisoning symptoms,” added Mr. Sayanna.

The normal practice for farmers is to consume alcohol soon after returning from the fields.

“The giddiness and uneasiness caused due to exposure to the poisonous vapours goes away after a few drinks,” explained farmer Sanjeev Reddy of Pusai, about the effects.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Andhra Pradesh

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Home |

Copyright 2007, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu