Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Monday, Sep 01, 2008
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Sport
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs |



Sport - Football Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Robinho determined to join Chelsea from Real Madrid

Madrid: Real Madrid’s Brazilian striker Robinho said on Sunday that his “head was at Chelsea” and that he was determined to leave the Spanish club despite efforts of team bosses to keep him.

“I’ve already told the president and coach, management and (the media): my head is there (at Chelsea), I want to play over there,” the 24-year-old said. “Till now I’ve never had a problem in the locker room (at Real),” he added.

Robinho, who joined Real in 2005, attacked the Spanish champion for its attitude to him during the summer when his father and agent had been trying to negotiate a new contract for him.

“The club showed little interest in keeping me,” said Robinho of Real which focused its efforts on its failed bid to sign Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

“The problem is that (Real Madrid) did not manage to recruit. Schuster isn’t my father, he’s my coach. He can’t make me do anything.”

Real also recently failed in its bid to sign two Spanish internationals Santi Cazorla from Villarreal and David Villa from Valencia. “I want to leave, nothing more,” he added.

There is very little time left for Robinho to move to London with the transfer window officially closing at midnight on Monday. “The situation has not changed at all. The negotiations are continuing and I still wish to leave Madrid. I want to play for Chelsea,” said Robinho, who has two years of his contract remaining.

Chelsea has reportedly offered Robinho a large increase on his current annual salary, believed to be euro2.1 million. The London club is also managed by his compatriot Luiz Felipe Scolari.Robinho suggested that Schuster was the biggest obstacle to his desired transfer.

Schuster left the 24-year-old forward out of Madrid’s squad for its opening Spanish league game. The coach said that once the transfer window closes on Monday, he would be able to make Robinho feel at home again at Madrid.

Real reacts

Meanwhile, Real Madrid reacted angrily on Sunday to Robinho’s statement hitting out at the player and the Premier League club.

“The club refers to an earlier statement on this matter, when it said if the player’s final decision was to unilaterally rescind his contract, we would have no option but to accept it,” Real said on its website. “Real deplore the way Chelsea’s directors have acted despite knowing perfectly well the decision not to sell the player, making statements and even going so far as to sell shirts with the player’s name on through their official website.” — Agencies

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Sport

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Updates: Breaking News |


Sportstar Subscribe


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Home |

Copyright 2008, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu