Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Saturday, Sep 27, 2008
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



National
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |



National Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

We had no intelligence input: Gujarat Minister

Manas Dasgupta

“Only Central intelligence agencies are to blame”

GANDHINAGAR: Gujarat Minister of State for Home Amit Shah on Thursday insisted that no advance intelligence inputs were received from the Centre about the possibility of bomb blasts in Ahmedabad.

Mr. Shah also contradicted the Delhi police claim and said last week’s encounter with terrorists at Jamia Nagar in the Capital was carried out on the basis of the “information” given by the Gujarat police.

The assertion, in the Assembly, comes even after the Delhi police repeatedly discounted any contribution by the Gujarat police and said they themselves “developed” the information about the terrorists hiding at Jamia Nagar.

Replying to supplementaries to a question about the involvement of SIMI activists in the July 26 serial blasts in Ahmedabad, Mr. Shah no intelligence report was made available by the Centre as claimed by Congress leaders.

Mr. Shah said SIMI leader Safdar Nagori’s statement before the Madhya Pradesh police on March 27 did not contain any information about plans to trigger blasts in Ahmedabad. During a subsequent narco-analysis, Nagori mentioned a SIMI training camp which operated near Pavagadh in January and also named some of his colleagues involved in terror operations, but none of the names belonged to Gujarat.

Mr. Shah maintained that it was the duty of the Central intelligence agencies to correlate information emanating from police from different States and alert the States concerned in time. But no such step was taken by the central intelligence agencies vis-À-vis the Ahmedabad blasts. “Otherwise, we could have taken timely action to prevent the catastrophe.” He said if anyone was to “blame” for the Ahmedabad serial blasts, it was the central intelligence agencies.

Later, leader of the Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil said what the Minister said in the House was not true, and claimed that the Congress leaders had “definite proof” that the Central intelligence agencies had alerted the government in time but it failed to act to prevent the blasts.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



National

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Home |

Copyright 2008, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu