Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Friday, Apr 10, 2009
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Sport
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Sport - Cricket Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Asif likely to escape without any harsh penalties

Karachi: Pakistan’s banned pacer Mohammad Asif is expected to escape without any harsh penalties after he submitted the required documents to the inquiry committee that is probing his 19-day detention in Dubai last year.

Sources close to Asif said that he had submitted documents which confirmed there was no ban on him from travelling to or entering Dubai.

“He has submitted the documents as he wants the inquiry committee to also quickly give its findings on this issue which should now be closed,” one source said.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) constituted the three-man committee headed by former Test captain Wasim Bari to find out if Asif had committed any major violation of his contract with the board during his detention in Dubai.

The Dubai authorities detained the pacer last June while he was returning from India after finding a minimal quantity of opium in his wallet. Asif claims he didn’t know it was opium and the substance was given to him by a local Hakeem as medicine for his elbow injury.

The Dubai authorities, however, didn’t charge Asif and released him after 19 days.

The inquiry committee had asked Asif, who is already serving a 12-month ban for testing positive during a dope test in the inaugural Indian Premier League edition, to submit certified documents from the Dubai authorities confirming he was not deported from Dubai and he can travel to the emirates city.

The source said Asif had submitted the required documents after obtaining them through a lawyer in Dubai. There were indications that if Asif didn’t submit the required documents, the inquiry committee would penalise him but now sources in the board say there is no action planned against the pace bowler whose ban ends in September. — PTI

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Sport

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |

Sportstar Subscribe


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2009, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu