Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Front Page
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Front Page Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Six Naxals held for Dantewada massacre

Lost CRPF wireless set ‘guided' Naxals

— Photo: Special Arrangement

Naxal leader Barsa Lakhma, who was produced before the press at Dantewada on Monday.

Dantewada: In a major breakthrough, the Chhattisgarh police have arrested six persons, including self-styled Naxal commander Barsa Lakhma, who were allegedly involved in the gunning down of 76 security personnel here last month.

“We have arrested six persons in two different incidents on Sunday night from Morpali, 4 km from Chintalnar,” Superintendent of Police Amresh Mishra told PTI here.

The six were allegedly involved in the killing of 75 CRPF personnel and one State police constable on April 6, the biggest attack on security personnel in post-Independence India.

The others arrested are: Oyam Hidma, Podiyami Hidma, Kawasi Budra, Oya Ganga, Dura Joga. They were arrested from Minapa village, 5 km from Tarmetla, the SP said.

The arrested Naxals told the officials that the CRPF personnel had become sitting ducks after they lost a wireless set of the Deputy Commandant of the 62nd CRPF Battalion on April 5. The Naxals had been keeping a close tab on the movement of the paramilitary force personnel with the help of the set.

These six persons had given a detailed de-briefing to Naxal top brass Ramanna and Paparao, during which the “complacency” of CRPF was also discussed, they told the interrogators.

According to the arrested Naxalites, the CRPF company was selected as the target because it stayed put in one place for an entire day and its movements were under constant watch, Mr. Mishra said.

The final kill was decided after the wireless set started buzzing on April 6 at 3 a.m. asking the men to get back to the ground and start searching for the lost set, the Naxals said.

The arrest of the Naxals comes close on the heels of the Centre's move to shunt out three officers of the CRPF, including its Deputy Inspector-General Nalin Prabhat, Commandant of 62nd battalion, and an inspector.

It has been recommended to also transfer Mr. Mishra and Inspector-General T.J. Long Kumeer of the Chhattisgarh police in the wake of the E.R. Rammohan report, which had allegedly blamed them for not properly planning the area domination exercise. However, there was no mention of DIG Kallauri, who was present at all operational meetings. — PTI

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Front Page

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |

Chandraayan I


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2010, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu