Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Thursday, Jul 01, 2010
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Kerala
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Kerala - Kozhikode Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Poor guidance blamed for behaviour

Staff Reporter

Be law-abiding, board advises juveniles in Marad case


Juvenies to appeal against verdict in sessions court

Trial of juveniles started in June 2007


KOZHIKODE: The Kozhikode Juvenile Justice Board said here on Wednesday that lack of proper guidance, education, parental care, support and protection could be the reason for the delinquent behaviour on the part of Juveniles in Conflict with Law (JCL) who have been found guilty of involvement in the Marad violence case of May 2, 2003.

The Board, comprising Principal Magistrate S.H. Panchapakesan and members C. Radhakrishnan and K.K. Shini, in its verdict said such deviation during their childhood could have paved the way for their involvement in the case. However, it said: “We admonish the JCL for the criminal acts that they have done and we advise them to lead a law abiding and peaceful life in future. We direct them to abstain from all kinds of anti-social and unlawful activities.”

Considering the recommendation of the District Probation Officer, the Board awarded the JCL probation for three years and imposed a fine of Rs.22,500 on each of them. If they failed to remit the penalty within a period of three months, they would have do mandatory community service at the Beypore grama panchayat.

‘Compassion shown'

Soon after announcing the verdict, the Principal Magistrate told the JCL that the law had been compassionate to them considering the age. K. Aali Koya and Edathodi Radhakrishnan, who appeared for the JCL, said they would appeal against the verdict in the District Sessions Court. There were five JCL in the case. But one of them fled to Saudi Arabia. Later, the board had directed the parents of the absconding juvenile to produce their son before the board within 20 days. Since the parents failed to produce their son, the surety amount was recovered from them.

A few retired police personnel of the Kozhikode Special Branch (intelligence wing) are now also facing charges in connection with the JCL securing a passport to go to a foreign country.

The trial started in June 2007. The delay was attributed to the State government filing the charge sheet before the board more than three years after the incident. Another was the delay in appointing the special prosecutor.

Later, the board temporarily suspended the proceedings on June 16, 2008 after special prosecutor P.D. Ravi moved a petition stating that a material object (sword) was required to proceed with the trial. The trial was resumed in January 2009.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Kerala

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2010, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu