Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Friday, Aug 20, 2010
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Andhra Pradesh
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Andhra Pradesh - Hyderabad Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Major fire in organics unit

Staff Reporter


Three dozen firemen struggle for seven hours to douse the blaze


HYDERABAD: A major fire broke out in a building that is used to store insecticides in Autonagar sending panic waves among the locality people, as the insecticides on fire led to emanation of a pungent smell and thick columns of smoke for a major part of the day on Thursday morning.

Nearly three dozen firemen fought the flames for more than seven hours to control the fire. None was injured in the fire accident, the cause of which was not yet ascertained. But fire authorities suspect an electrical short circuit to be the cause.

Thick smoke

Eye witnesses said fire broke out in Sabero Organics Gujarat Limited, housed in a building in an industrial layout, some 2 km from the Vijayawada highway, around 5.30 a.m. A truck driver who noticed thick plumes of smoke emanating from the building alerted its in charge Satti Reddy, who in turn called the fire tenders.

The fire tender reached the spot within minutes, but it could not proceed ahead to the building for the next 30 minutes as the passage was engulfed in flames that leapt to about 10 feet height. “The blaze was erupting from all sides,” recalled a fire fighter.

The electrical cables dangling from above and all over the place further complicated the problem. The fire officials had to get the power disconnected first before ordering the fire fighters to proceed ahead. For the next seven hours, more than 30 officials engaged themselves in the fierce fire fighting operation, as locality people watched. The plumes of smoke could be seen as far as Vanasthalipuram main road.

The pungent smell that enveloped the area led to some panic, but it was manageable.

‘No extinguisher'

Hayathnagar Station Fire Officer T. Purnachander suspected that an electrical short circuit could have led to the fire.

What surprised the fire officials was the absence of any fire extinguisher on the premises.

“We will prepare a detailed report on violations committed by the management in installing safety systems,” he said.

Unit Regional Manager Srinivas Reddy said the company could have suffered a loss of Rs.3.5 crores. “We closed the unit around 10.30 p.m. on Wednesday after unloading material from a lorry.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Andhra Pradesh

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2010, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu