Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Saturday, Aug 28, 2010
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Other States
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Other States - Orissa Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

State's gesture fails to mollify agitating lawyers

Correspondent


A compensation of Rs 5 lakhs to the family of deceased advocate released


CUTTACK: Not satisfied with the response from the State government to their demands, striking lawyers of the Orissa High Court here on Friday decided to continue their ongoing cease-work agitation till Tuesday next.

“The bar general body decided to review the situation again and decide further course of action at next meeting to be held at 11 am on Tuesday”, said the HC bar association secretary Lalitendu Samantray here on Friday adding that they would continue to boycott courts till that period.

Supporting the decision of HC bar, lawyers of other bars in the city also decided to abstain from duties till Tuesday next. It was not immediately known whether lawyers elsewhere in the State would follow suit.

The lawyers of the HC and other lower courts here have been boycotting courts since Wednesday last protesting against the death of advocate Bishnu Charan Dash who was killed in Bagalpur police firing on Monday last.

Even as the State government has announced a judicial enquiry into the incident and released Rs 5 lakhs as compensation to Dash's family, the lawyers are demanding Rs 50 lakh, a government job to any of his family member and suspension of the policeman who opened fire and the magistrate who gave firing orders.

The State government in a letter addressed to the HC bar association president expressed condolences over the unfortunate death of the young advocate. Urging the bar to call off their strike, the government mentioned that a judicial probe had been announced into the incident and a compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the victim's family was released.

The Government said the Bagalpur incident was now being jointly enquired by the State Home Secretary and the DGP. “On the basis of their report, appropriate action deemed proper would be taken against the erring officials”, the letter said adding that the contentious issue of quantum of compensation to the victim's family would be one of the terms of reference of the judicial enquiry.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Other States

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2010, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu