Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Andhra Pradesh
News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Andhra Pradesh - Hyderabad Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

Fire in cracker shop triggers panic

Staff Reporter

Fire fighters battle for almost seven hours to extinguish the flames

HYDERABAD: A major fire broke out in a firecracker shop at Mahboob Mansion in Malakpet on Sunday midnight triggering panic among locals. None was injured.

Though officials of Fire Services Department are yet to ascertain the exact reasons behind the mishap, the police said that electrical short-circuit could be one of the causes. The possibility of fire breaking out due to a burnt cigarette butt has been ruled out as the shop was closed on Sunday.

Passersby noticed flames at Bhavani firecrackers shop on the second floor of a three-storied commercial complex. Five fire tenders from Malakpet, Chandulal Baradari, Moula Ali, Gowliguda and Secunderabad along with a hydraulic platform were rushed to the spot soon after the call was received around 12.45 a.m. Fire fighters battled for almost seven hours to extinguish the flames. As the shutters were locked, they had to break open the windows to enter. The hydraulic platform assisted them in preventing flames from spreading to other floors.

District Fire Officer P. Deendayal said that a notice would be issued to the owner listing out lapses in the shop. “Investigations are on to know the exact reasons for the mishap,” he added.

Firecrackers stuffed in hundreds of cartons were gutted along with sachets containing ‘masalas' and other ingredients used for preparing food. The sachets were stored in a shop abutting the cracker shop.

Blaze in sweet shop

In a separate incident, seven persons suffered injuries after a fire broke out in the cellar of a commercial complex at Dilsukhnagar on Monday. Police said the proprietor of Sai Sudha Sweet House, Shiva Reddy owned a room in the cellar for preparing sweets. While chef Ramchandar and five others, including Reddy were preparing sweets, flames erupted due to gas leakage from a cylinder. As there was no alternative escape route, they got trapped in the room leading to burn injuries.

Reddy, Ramchandar and a worker Naresh were admitted to a corporate hospital in Kanchanbagh where their condition was stated to be serious.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Andhra Pradesh

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2010, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu