Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Monday, Jun 13, 2011
ePaper | Mobile/PDA Version
Google



Front Page

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary |

Front Page Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

CBSE, ICSE students left out of second allotment list

G. Mahadevan

5,000 students from the streams have applied for Plus One courses


Separate list for them along with third allotment

Chandy says these students' interests will be protected




Mohammed Hanish says these students' meritwill be protected

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Even as the higher secondary department published the second allotment list for Plus One courses on its website www.hscap.kerala.gov.in on Sunday, there is frustration and anxiety among hundreds of students from the ICSE and CBSE streams who expected to find a place on the list.

Nearly 5,000 students from these two streams had applied for admission to higher secondary courses in the State. Higher Secondary Director Mohammed Hanish told The Hindu that a separate list of CBSE and ICSE students would be published in tandem with the third allotment list for the higher secondary courses.

“The position that students from the ICSE and CBSE streams would have got had they been part of the second allotment would first be determined. The separate list would be published by retaining this position of merit. We are working to bring out this separate list along with the third allotment list,” Mr. Hanish said. According to a press note issued here, students who received allotments on Sunday should secure admissions in schools on June 13 and 14.

There will be no further allotments for those who do not pay the fee. Those who have received allotment for their first option should pay the fee. For allotments in other options, candidates can either secure temporary or permanent admissions. No fee need be paid for temporary admissions.

The State government's logic for not including the CBSE and ICSE students in the higher secondary allotment in the first place was that it would cause a delay in the completion of admissions and consequently a delay in the commencement of higher secondary classes. These classes are scheduled to begin on June 24.

Government's efforts

Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told The Hindu on Sunday that the government's efforts were directed towards protecting the interests of students from the ICSE and CBSE streams.

“While it is true that they are far fewer in number when compared to those who come from the State stream, it is the bounden duty of the government to ensure that their merit does not suffer or is ignored. Last year these students were given allotment only after the third round of allotment to higher secondary courses. This year we have taken a decision to give them allotment one step ahead,” he said.

It is not immediately clear, though, how the government would be able to ‘maintain the merit position' of candidates from these two streams, if they are not actually included on the higher secondary allotment list. It is not that students from the CBSE and the ICSE streams would not get allotments. But the problem is they may not get the school and courses of their choice.

On May 16, thousands of students from the CBSE watched helplessly as the deadline for submitting applications for the higher secondary courses went past them. Their results had not been published then.

Even on Sunday when the second list came, these students could only wait helplessly to be told how exactly their merit would be protected on a separate list to be published in about a week.

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail



Front Page

News: ePaper | Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Advts:
Retail Plus | Classifieds | Jobs | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |

Chandraayan I


News Update



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | Publications | eBooks | Images | Ergo | Home |

Copyright 2011, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu