Q & A
AT THE U.N.: International relations in focus.
MA in International Relations
Q. I would like to know about the scope of international relations and the facilities available for studying the subject at the postgraduate level. - Priyada Sudhakaran, Kollam
A. Few universities offer International Relations at the postgraduate level. In Kerala, The School of International Relations under the Mahatma Gandhi University, Priyadarsini Hills P.O., Kottayam - 686 560 (Phone: 0481-2731040) offers MA in Politics & International Relations.
The number of seats is 15. The minimum eligibility prescribed for admission to the course is a degree in Economics/Politics/History/Law with 45% marks or in English/Sociology/Anthropology/Psychology/Geography/ Philosophy/Commerce with 50% marks for part III or in Science with 60% marks for part III. Those awaiting final year results of qualifying examinations can also apply, provided they produce marklists at the time of admission. Only courses and their equivalents approved by the Mahatma Gandhi University will be considered the eligible qualification. The admission will be based on an entrance test.
The School also conducts an M.Phil. course in International Relations, for which there are six seats. Those who have a postgraduate degree in International Relations/Politics/Economics/History/Law with 55% marks are eligible for admission. Ph.D. research facilities are also available here.
The notification for admission to MA in Politics & International Relations and M.Phil. courses is issued in March/April. The postgraduate course is conducted under the Scheme of Credit and Semester System.
The Department of Politics, University of Kerala, University of Kerala, University Campus, Karyavattom - 695 581 (Phone: 0471 2418307) offers MA in Politics, with International Relations as one of the papers. The subject covers international organisations, United Nations, foreign policies, diplomatic relations, etc. More details can be had from the department.
The School of International Studies under the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi - 110 067 (www.jnu.ac.in ) provides facilities for pursuing MA in Politics with specialisation in International Relations. A graduate under the 10+2+3 pattern of education in any discipline with at least 50% marks is eligible for admission.
M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes in International Politics, Organisation, Disarmament & Political Geography, Diplomatic Studies, International Legal Studies, International Trade and Development, South Asian, Central Asian, South East Asian & South-west Pacific Studies, Chinese, Japanese & Korean Studies, West Asian, North African and Sub-Saharan African Studies, American, Latin American, Canadian & West European Studies and Russian, Central Asian & East European Studies are also being provided by the School.
At an Alliance Francaise centre.
Postgraduates in Political Science/International Relations and Area Studies/History/Economics with at least 50% marks are eligible for admission.
Admissions are based on an entrance test held by the Jawaharlal Nehru University in May. In Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram and Calicut are likely to be the test centres. The admission notification is issued in February. For more details, log on to http://www.jnu.ac.in
Some other universities offering International Relations at the postgraduate level are the following:
* Pondicherry University, R.V. Nagar, Pondicherry - 605 014 (www.pondiuni.org ) (MA in Politics & International Relations). Selection is based on an entrance test held in June. Cochin is likely to be the test centre in Kerala.
* Jadavpur University, Kolkata - 700 032, West Bengal (www.jadavpur.edu) offers MA in International Relations.
* Jiwaji University, Vidyavihar, Gwalior - 474 011(Madhya Pradesh) offers MA in International Relations.
* Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar University, Agra - 282 004 (Uttar Pradesh) (www.brauagra.com) offers MA in International Affairs.
* Institute of International Studies, Bundelkhand University, Jhansi - 284 128 (www.bunelkhand university.org ) offers MA in International Studies.
Foreign languages: courses in German and French
Q. I am a tourism student preparing for Ph.D. in eco-tourism. I would like to know about the institutions or universities offering foreign language courses in Kerala and elsewhere. - R. Sindu, Kollam
A. The Department of Foreign Languages under the Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin - 682 022 (Phone: 0484 2575180) offers the following academic programmes:
Certificate Programmes (part-time) in French, German, Japanese and Russian. Eligibility: pass in Plus Two/equivalent examination.
Diploma Programmes (part-time) in French, German, Japanese and Russian. Eligibility: pass in Plus Two/equivalent and certificate-level knowledge in the language concerned.
Integrated Diploma (part-time) in French, German, Japanese and Russian. Eligibility: pass in Plus Two/equivalent.
Diploma in Functional Arabic (part-time). Eligibility: pass in Plus Two/ equivalent.
MA in Translation (German/Russian) (full-time), four-semester course. Eligibility: graduation from any recognised university and knowledge of the language concerned up to the diploma level.
Ph.D. facilities are also available here.
The Certificate programme provides basic working knowledge in the languages concerned. It imparts basic skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. The diploma programme provides Intermediate-level competence in the language concerned.
Students of the Integrated Diploma Programmes will be able to acquire skills in comprehending and translating literary and scientific texts into English and vice-versa.
MA in Translation is an advanced programme in technical and literary translation in the language concerned. This is a job-oriented course; the learners can be absorbed in scientific and industrial establishments. They can also take up literary and journalistic translation work.
At present, the Department of Foreign Languages offers postgraduate programmes in MA in Translation (German/Russian), along with part-time programmes in French, German, Japanese and Russian. For more details contact the department. The e-mail address is email@example.com
The Department of German under the University of Kerala (Senate House Campus, Thiruvananthapuram - 695 034) offers the following courses:
Certificate in German (morning and evening batches) (part-time). There are 40 seats in each batch. Graduates in any discipline can seek admission.
For the diploma in German, there are 40 seats. Eligibility: graduation with certificate in German.
For MA in German, there are 10 seats. Eligibility: diploma in German or BA/ B.Sc. with German as a second language or equivalent qualification. Selection is based on merit in the qualifying examination.
The School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies under the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) offers the following programmes:
BA (Hons) in French, German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Persian and Arabic. The qualification for admission is pass in 10+2 /equivalent examination with 45% marks.
MA in French, German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Persian, Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, Linguistics and English. Eligibility: graduation under 10+2+ 3 pattern in any discipline with at least 45% marks with adequate proficiency in the language concerned.
M.Phil./Ph.D. in French, German, Arabic, Russian, Persian, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish. Eligibility: postgraduation in the concerned language/subject with at least 50% marks. Admission to all the above courses offered by JNU is based on an all-India level entrance test. The School of Foreign Languages under the Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad - 500 007 offers MA (regular mode) in French/German/Spanish/Arabic (2 years); MA (distance mode) in French/ Russian/German/Spanish (3 years). Eligibility: graduation with the language concerned as an elective subject or as a second language or graduation in any discipline and language proficiency in the foreign language concerned, equivalent to at least diploma level (two years of language learning).
There are also M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses in French, German, Russian, Spanish (regular mode). More details can he had at www.ciefl.ac.in
* The School of English and Foreign Languages (Chepauk campus) under the University of Madras, Chennai - 5 conducts MA in French. The admission is based on an entrance test.
* Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi - 221 005 (Phone - 0542-2368418, 2307255-58) offers MA in French, German, Chinese and Persian. Admission is based on an entrance test.
* Pondicherry University, RV Nagar Pondicherry - 605014 (www.pondiuni.org ) offers MA in French (Translations & Interpretation). Admission is based on an entrance test.
* Bangalore University, Jananabharathi, Bangalore - 560 056 (Phone 080 23213023) offers certificate and diploma courses in French, Italian, Japanese, German and Russian and MA in French.
* The University of Calcutta, Kolkata - 700 073, West Bengal offers MA in French and German.
* University of Delhi, Delhi - 110 007 offers MA in French and German.
* Karnatak University, Dharwad - 580 003 offers MA in French & German.
* Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai - 625 021 offers MA in French.
* University of Mumbai, Fort, Mumbai - 400 032 offers MA in French and German.
* University of Pune, Pune - 411 007 offers MA in French and German
* Osmania University, Hyderabad - 500 007 offers MA in French.
* Punjab University, Chandigarh - 160 014 offers MA in French and German.
* Max Mueller Bhavan, is a cultural institute devoted to the teaching of German language. Max Mueller Bhavan, Chennai - 600 006 and Alliance Francaise at various places offer French Language courses (Alliance Francaise de Chennai, Nungambakkam, Chennai - 600 006; Alliance Francaise de Trivandrum, Sasthamangalam, Trivandrum - 695 010)
Those interested in foreign languages can study French/German/Russian as a second language at the Plus Two and degree levels. They can also go for postgraduation in the languages concerned.
Many higher secondary schools, colleges and universities in Kerala offer these facilities. In the era of globalisation, multilingual communication assumes much importance and language specialists can opt for careers as translators, interpreters, language teachers, lecturers, tourist guides, tour operators or journalists.
GOPAKUMAR KARAKONAM Author and career consultant based in Thiruvananthapuram
Photo: K. Pichumani
Send this article to Friends by